We have implemented many new protocols and procedures in light of COVID-19. All of these changes have been made with the safety of you, our staff, your family, our families and our community in mind. We ask that you please read our comprehensive Safety Plan for Reopening – COVID-19 to familiarize yourself with these changes.
This post is simply a summary of the most relevant information and notifies you of the tasks you will need to complete in order to make your treatment as safe and smooth as possible.
KEY » If you have a fever, cough or difficulty breathing or any other symptoms that may be a sign of COVID-19, please do not come in to your appointment. Please stay home and call 8-1-1 for testing information if you have not done so already.
Before First Treatment
- Please read our Safety Plan for Reopening – COVID-19 and this post.
- Please sign the Signed Informed Consent – COVID-19 form. This is under the guise of an ‘Intake Form’ in Jane. A link to the form will be emailed in your ‘Thanks for Booking’ email and in your ‘Reminder’ email.
- Enter Credit Card Payment Information securely into your Jane account portal. For more information on how to do this and our new touchless payment system, please refer to the Touchless Payment section further down this post.
Before Every Treatment
- The day before every treatment, you are required to perform a BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool: https://bc.thrive.health/covid19/en
- If you answer ‘Yes’ to any of the five questions we request that you immediately cancel your massage therapy appointment and follow the directions that the tool provides to you.
- There will not be a fee for the late cancelation of your appointment.
Note that on the day of your treatment, you will also have to:
- Confirm that you have not travelled outside BC in the last 14 days. If you have travelled outside of BC in the last 14 days, the RMT may choose to defer the treatment until a later date (once a minimum of 14 symptom-free days has transpired).
- Confirm that you have not been in contact with anyone displaying illness, or signs and symptoms of COVID-19 within the 14 days prior to your treatment. If you have been in contact with anyone displaying illness or signs and symptoms of COVID-19 within the past 14 days, the RMT may choose to defer the treatment until a later date (once a minimum of 14 symptom-free days has transpired).
- If you are unable to confirm one or both of these, you may want to consider cancelling your treatment ahead of time due to the possibility of the therapist deferring your treatment to a later date.
- The treatment will be cancelled onsite if you do not meet the pre-screening criteria upon physical presentation at the clinic.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Left Coast Health RMTs will be wearing masks at all times.
- We require that patients wear a mask at all times.
- If you have your own clean mask, you are encouraged to bring it for use during your session.
- RMTs have paper/disposable (non-surgical) masks available for you if you do not bring your own.
- Please do not touch the fabric portion of the mask while it is in use or after you have taken it off. If you do touch this part of the mask, please clean your hands with the provided hand sanitizer.
- Gloves and eye protection are optional.
Arriving At Treatment
- You are required to wait outside Saanich Commonwealth Place (in your car or at least 2 metres from the door that leads to the second floor Health Services on the North side of the building) and not inside the building. There is a large black and white Health Services sign on the exterior wall beside the door. Please wait in front of the Left Coast Health sandwich board that is two metres from this door. Feel free to wait here close to your appointment time and we will be able to look down and see you. Or if there is inclement weather, you can wait in your car and the RMT will call you to let you know that they are ready to meet you at the door described above.
- Please make sure that your cell phone number is current in your Jane Patient Profile.
- If we are unable to reach you or you do not have a cell phone, the therapist will simply come down just before, or at your treatment time, to look outside for you.
- When the RMT comes outside, you will both go over your BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool results as well as discuss the two additional screening questions (travel outside of BC and being in contact with anyone displaying illness) before proceeding inside for your session.
Transition to Treatment Room
- Enroute to the treatment room we ask that you touch as few surfaces as possible. Preferably none.
- You will be asked to clean your hands outside of the treatment room with the provided alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Tissue or paper towel will be available throughout the clinic (in the reception area, treatment room and washroom) in order that patients and the therapist may use the tissue or paper towel to address an itch and/or touch the face for any other reason.
- You will be asked to keep all personal belongings within a plastic bin, which is sanitized between patients. Please bring as few personal items as is necessary.
- RMTs will have the patient complete a COVID-19 Specific Informed Consent form if they have not already done so.
- As physical distancing is not possible during assessment and treatment, both you and the therapist are required to wear a mask.
- At the conclusion of the manual portion of the treatment, The RMT will use a tissue or paper towel to open the door and communicate to you that they are going to wash their hands in the washroom.
- The RMT will ask that after you have gotten off the treatment table that you clean your hands with the provided alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- You are then to use a tissue as a sanitation barrier to open the treatment room door when you are ready for the RMT to re-enter the room.
- When the RMT is back from washing their hands they will re-enter the room to conclude the treatment and accept payment.
- Until further notice, credit card payments for treatment will be performed through our online booking software that has a touchless credit card payment app called Jane Payments.
- You are asked to please enter your credit card information into your Jane account. This information will be securely stored in Jane Payments, which is Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard compliant.
- This only has to be performed once and would preferably be done by you, at home, anytime before coming into your first treatment after we reopen.
- To register a credit card to your Jane account profile, you simply follow the instructions in this link: ‘Add a Credit Card from the Client My Account Portal’ https://jane.app/guide/payment-processing/add-a-credit-card-from-the-client-my-account-portal
- If you do not do this ahead of time, it will be done at the conclusion of your treatment. Preferably, you would dictate the information to the RMT to enter so there is not cross-contamination of the computer keyboard or tablet screen. If you prefer to type it in, the RMT will disinfect the keyboard or tablet screen for you with Health Canada approved hard surface disinfectant wipes.
- If credit card payment is a challenge, you can pay via e-transfer to email@example.com, though we do prefer payment with a credit card.
- Until further notice, receipts will only be emailed to you, not printed.
- Cash is not accepted at this time.
Conclusion of Treatment
- At the conclusion of the treatment, the patient will leave the building on their own, touching as few surfaces as possible on their way
- You can remove your mask (Do not touch the front of your mask. Lean forward, gently remove the mask from behind by holding either both ear loops, or ties) and dispose of it in the garbage can outside of the exterior door beside the bike rack.
- Please perform hand hygiene after disposing of your facemask.
- Limited Reception Services: Until June 8th, phones will be answered Monday – Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm. Starting June 8th, phones will be answered Monday – Friday from 8:30am – 7:00pm and on Saturday and Sunday from 10:00am – 4:00pm. To communicate with us at other hours, we ask that you email us, firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will reply to you as soon as our schedule allows.
- Washrooms: The fitness centre is now open (as of July 13, 2020) so we have access to our regular washrooms at the far end of the fitness centre.
- 24 Hour Cancelation Policy: The enforcement of this policy will be much more lenient to encourage more honesty with reporting symptoms of illness and cancelling appointments at the last hour.
Thank you in advance for respecting our new protocols at the clinic. We hope you understand that they have been put in place to keep everyone healthy and safe. Thank you also for your patience as we may be running slightly behind schedule as we get used to everything ourselves. This unprecedented situation seems to bring about change on a weekly and sometimes daily basis. Please check back for changes to our protocols and procedures.
All the best to you and yours.
Julia, Jennifer and Marcus.
The Left Coast Health Team.